Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Clare Bowditch and the Feeding Set


Ok. I've listened to their latest -What Was Left- for some months now on and off. Its a strange thing I have with CDs. If I find something I really like, I'll listen to it non-stop for weeks which shows with a skewed 'no. times played' listing on my ipod. At the moment its Something for Kate which I'll post my thoughts on later, but I'll start off with What Was Left.

I find it hard finding new artists to listen to. It usually takes me a couple of listens of the album to get a feel and appreciation. I can't exactly remember how exactly I got into this CD. I hadn't read anything extensive on the album, and they don't get radio play when I'm listening so I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas on the album. I think I remember seeing an interview and they just gave off a vibe that hit a cord with me. In anycase I trundled into JB and saw their latest album on the shelf and pretty much with nothing more to go on and looking for new music, I took a chance on the album.

I've gone through about 3 phases with this album.
1) Initial listen - Picking out the standout songs on the album based on catchy lyrics and melodies.
2) After the Corner Hotel gig July 8 - A really great gig, well supported by Dan Kelly. I had a greater appreciation of story telling and lyrics of the songs. (The gig was only spoilt by filler spaceman act... poor guy)
3) Finally - being able to really listen to the songs and hear more of the subtle accompanying instruments

Side note: I'm really surprised how much difference a good video clip makes (Little Self Centred Queen). As stupid as it sounds, I seem to like a song more after I've seen a video clip that either tells the story or just fits the song's mood. (dont think 'bling', scantily clad women or souped up 'rides') .

I've listened on and off to the album for quite sometime since late last year. It has a fantastic mix of songs where some are catchy and addictive from the outset (The Thing About Grief), while others have greater depth and emotional stories to tell (When I Was Five).
The standout songs in my book are:
-Lips Like Oranges, Divorcee By 23, When I Was Five, Little Self Centred Queen and Just Might Do
But hey I like the whole album, but that's just me...(I've got their 1st (Autumn Bone) now, so I'll get into that now...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home