Monday, August 28, 2006

Martha Wainwright

I found out recently that I missed out what would've been the perfect gig. Sarah Blasko was supporting Martha Wainwright in the states...

How did I come about learning about Martha? Well, I was reading an end of year wrap by Triple J DJs where they listed their favourite albums of the year. I was again looking for new music and found someone who had listened to similar albums as me that year. After reading a couple of sentences describing the album, I went along and visited her website. I listened to the first single 'When the Day is Short' and found myself purchasing the album.

This was an album that took a few listens to really get into. The songs tend to grow on you the more times you listen to them and the husky voice of Martha eventually gets you hooked. Unfortunately she's come and toured twice and I missed out on tickets. The first time I hadn't heard her album and the second unfortunately they were snapped up in a flash, and from all reports seeing her live is something not to be missed. I did catch her singing a duet with Dan Kelly on Rockwiz and I can see the appeal of this Canadian's live performance.

I'm not sure how to classify her music, but if I had to, I'd have to say she like PJ Harvey but less rocky. (If that makes any sense...) At times the sound is raw, but I believe this really gives the album an edge and earthy feel which is perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon or just chilling out. The interesting thing is, I'm not usually into excessive profanities in songs, but I must admit: Bloody Mother F**king A**hole is one of my favourite songs now. The first couple of times I listened to it, it didn't really appeal to me, but its just something about just an acoustic guitar and heartfelt lyrics that makes it grow on you:

I will not pretend
I will not put on a smile
I will not say I'm all right for you
When all I wanted was to be good
To do everything in truth


Some of the other favourites from the album are: Far Away, G.P.T, Factory, These Flowers, This Life and When The Day Is Short. (A 16 song 'Special Edition' album also includes a song sung in French and a duet with brother Rufus... Dad is very talented also...). An excellent album to add to the collection. Definitely will check her out next time she tours...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home