Sunday, September 10, 2006

Something For Kate

Their name apparently was derived from something read on a napkin in a hotel that stuck. Or so I remember when the question was asked recently in a JB Hi-Fi instore earlier this year. I'm happy to say that I own and enjoy their albums since Beautiful Sharks. Desert Lights is their latest album since The Official Fiction (2003), which was what got me into SFK and consequently prompted me to purchase most of their previous albums also. There was a filler of B-sides and live performances released in 2004 which contained a favourite live cover performance of Ashes to Ashes.

Desert Lights is an interesting album. Listening to an interview on Triple J, apparently Paul Dempsey had writer's block when the band was in the US recording the new album in what was a fascinating insight on how songs are created and the effort it takes. In the interview they were awaiting on certain parts of songs for months and in some cases just a couple of words. Seeing them live for the first time earlier this year, I probably didn't appreciate the performance as much as I would now. They played a few songs from this album, and I really find it hard to get into a live song without previously knowing it. The gig was fantastic none the less with the highlight being the cover of 'Born to Run'. Fortunately I have tickets to a show coming up on the 22nd of September which I'm highly anticipating; Not only hearing songs I'm now familiar, but to get another chance to see the band live.

The favourite song is the current single Oh Kamikaze which I'm happy to say that I've got a video from a live performance; A fantastic opening guitar with some great bass . Overall the album is a little 'rockier' than the last and it contains some really good slower songs (This is the Life for Me, Impossible), some songs moving into surprising vocal heights (Statues, A Fool's History) and just great rock type ones (Transparanoia, California).

The apparent pain the band had in making this album in my mind has paid off and is a really satisfying listening experience. Fans I guess have confirmed this with the album debuting at number one on the ARIA chart. The current 'special edition' of the album has some live recordings of songs, with a personal favourite of Hawaiian Robots (Gotta love the guitars, especially the bass at the start). If only Stephanie Ashworth wasn't with Paul I'd have a shot. Yeah right in your dreams... Can't wait until the 22nd and should I double up on the 23rd at the Hi-Fi Bar???

3 Comments:

At Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:45:00 am, Blogger yossarian said...

i really like the way you've written this up (as well as What Was Left - sadly it took me a few times of seeing Clare Bowditch live before i actually got the point, then started to really "hear" the album properly). regarding how many people might have been at the Corner gig the other night, my guess is maybe about 150-200? it's a pretty spacious beer garden.

btw, your NZ photos are fantastic. i've watched the bungy jumping but wouldn't dream of doing it ...

 
At Friday, September 15, 2006 10:56:00 am, Blogger M? said...

Hi Jonno,

Great review. I'm curious though, "...If only Stephanie Ashworth wasn't with Paul I'd have a shot. Yeah right in your dreams... D'you mean Stephanie or Paul? ;)

Despite my preference for their earlier contributions, your review definitely has persuaded me to check out SFK's music post Echolalia/Beautiful Sharks/Elsewhere for 8 minutes/Q+A

And I say, if you can afford it- double up. There ain't too many things better than a live performance from a much loved band.

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006 5:24:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Thanks for the comments Yossarian/m's nemesis... To answer your question m's nemesis: Stephanie ;)

Gee they can cram a lot of people up there at the beer garden. I should have gone. Gotta do the bungy if your in NZ. Its damn scary but worth it for the adrenalin rush!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home