Wednesday, August 08, 2007

You've Made the List!

Congratulations Bakers Delight High st Ashburton you've made the list! I'm sick of poor service, so I boycott any establishments that go out of their way to give me the shits. I had a craving for peanut butter so made a stop to get exactly that and some fresh bread. I entered Bakers Delight and lined up behind a gentleman, giving him enough space so I didn't cramp him up, but close enough to know I was in line. (Why do people get so close at ATMs??) He got served by a lady who appeared from the back (yeap, no school kids servicing on weekdays...) which left me next in line. The second woman behind the counter finished serving and, after rehearsing my order, I geared up to request my complicated version of "bread". At this time, an old lady weazled up on the inside lane and proceeded to cut the line! Not only was there no cursory glance to see who was next, but behind the counter there was no motion to me to come up to be served. Yeap, I'm just admiring the display of breads you have and thought I'd hang out here in the foyer. At this point another lady had joined the queue next to me and observed: "We're obviously lining up in the wrong spot" To which I smiled at her, and walked out shaking my head. Brumby's on that strip has my business...

I've got no issues if you don't see me, but this wasn't the case and it's just poor form to go ahead to serve someone else. This is by no means a black mark against other franchises, just the one at this location. End rant...(It's a bit harsh because usually they're great...)

To finish off the last bits from my trip, I love the Aussie dollar! 2 suits, 2 pairs of shoes, 5 shirts, 3 pants, 7 t-shirts, a suitcase and phone (that doesn't work now!) was the bounty from the short excursion abroad and it will be hard to justify buying anything locally now. I've found the place that does the t-shirts I bought, and it looks like a few credit card purchases aren't too far away...

A couple of gigs have also rounded out a couple of semi busy weeks: 2 x Sarah Blasko, OK Go and the Shins. A real show from OK Go including a scene from Les Misérables and some cameras attached to the microphones providing a different perspective for broadcast behind the band. The Metro, I felt was a really poor venue for music. The sound was pretty weak and the large bar positioned right in the middle eliminates the best spots in the house. This didn't really do the Shins justice and I'm sure in another venue I would have enjoyed their show more. That's what happens when you use a nightclub as a gig venue...

8 Comments:

At Monday, August 13, 2007 10:56:00 am, Blogger yossarian said...

i hear you jonno! you've just addressed one of my top pet peeves. as someone whose first part-time job was behind a counter, one of the first things i was taught was always to check with people who was next. as a consequence, it's made my rudeness threshold a lot lower when i'm on the other end of the counter. that said though, if someone knows they were after you, they should do the right thing and defer to you too. people these days...

...on an unrelated note, i also totally understand the craving for peanut butter and fresh, crusty bread ...especially when the peanut butter is the Crunchy type (in my opinion, Smooth just tends to get stuck to the roof of one's mouth-am i wrong?) and the bread is warm...uh-oh, better go to the supermarket...

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:46:00 pm, Blogger Serenity Later said...

Ditto jonno, you've just highlighted a very important issue that needs to be addressed right away. Someone ought to set up a taskforce, a committee or something to fight against this scourge causing unnecessary angst in customers worldwide.

Seriously, what's up with people and their lack of manners. I find this treatment akin to the feeling you get when an automatic door fails to open when you're passing through, except the culprits in your case have eyes and ought to know better. Though, i wonder who's to blame for this: the customers who push in or the sales staff who may not have noticed a usurper in their midst? Having said that I react in the exact way as you if I'm ignored at a counter: I simply take my business elsewhere.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:03:00 pm, Blogger Serenity Later said...

Aaaahhhh! I love it!!! You got simpsonised!!!!!!

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:33:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

yossarian - Peanut butter and honey for me. Not sure what it is, but I'm addicted and have had it for breakfast the last 3 weeks! Spot on with the rudeness threshold. I always check and usually give people the stink eye if they butt in...

serenity - I'd like to lead the taskforce, but to find an appropriate punishment... I think the customer has to take a bit more of the blame, but that by no way excuses the sales staff... Yes I love that simpsonised site! Thanks for the link!

 
At Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:02:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

Did you say anything? I would have said to the old queue jumpin hag, "Excuse me, but I was next", very polite but assertive.....that's me....sometimes ;)

 
At Monday, August 20, 2007 8:18:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Sorry steph, I don't have the guts to tell an old lady off. Just the stink eye behind her back. (yes that's very man-ly of me isn't it?)

 
At Sunday, September 02, 2007 1:21:00 am, Blogger thanh7580 said...

Jonno, I also hate it when people cut in and the staff don't just say "That person was actually next" when they clearly know it.

On another note, if your Simpsons photo is fairly accurate, I assume you are also Asian? I say also since I'm Chinese. I always assumed you were Caucasian from your name and the fact that you listen to more alternative music. For me, Aussie non-pop artists is alternative hehehe. I'm also right into stereotyping people. :-)

 
At Sunday, September 09, 2007 12:32:00 am, Blogger Jonno said...

Ahh my secret identity has been busted... Nice simpsonised pic Thanh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home