Monday, June 25, 2007

Mandate

Not sure why there's been such a lull in posts as it certainly hasn't been an action packed 2 months...Yes I piked on the "Run to the G". At least I didn't pay the registration fee like a guy at work. The guilt was lessened by the fact that I've still been able to get out twice a week in the blistering cold for runs. One minute your sweating like a pig and next your making your way back to work in near freezing conditions being pelted by rain.

There was an article posted in the Good Weekend a few weeks back, which I couldn't resist commenting about. Ironically, I tend to have many 'mandates' but my criteria outlined would be slightly different to the article. Walks along the beach?? I'd like to clarify a few points on some of the observations I have.
  • Brunch is ok. It saves cooking 2 meals and who can turn down an all day breakfast?
  • Cafes seem to be less attention seeking than restaurants and more conducive to shorts and tees!
  • Food establishments with table cloths are to be avoided unless its yum cha. Candles can make an appearance otherwise.
  • Unlike the picture, if there are just 2 attendees, sitting on the same side of a table usually implies a need to be within 'arms around' distance and no 'buffer zone'. Plus it gives little room to maneuver a plate of food.
  • Avoid ordering the same meal.
  • I fully concur with the notion of 'no notice' cancellation if one party has a better female invite.
  • There hasn't been a time where a hug has been on display, generally its a firm, three pump handshake if a greeting or farewell is required.
Brian Nankervis hosted a music quiz fundraiser for a local highschool recently, and I was quite amazed at some of the knowledge of fellow contestants. I was the youngest on the table by a good 12-15 years and it made me wonder how much current music trivia I'd be able to retain 20 odd years from now. Obscure references such as a famous Beatles numberplate or when the Rolling Stones played at Kooyong and naming the first song they played was just cruel. It probably helped that some people on the table were actually at the gig, while I was still a good decade away from being born.

Needless to say it was an entertaining night, and while we were lucky enough to win, I had to endure 150 people watching me attempt for a few extra points trying to make it under a limbo bar. I managed a respectable 3rd and survive the initial embarrassment of being on stage. Apparently I was the only one not give a little dance before my attempts. What can I say, I was in it to win not entertain...

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:25:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

hehehe...i remember this article too. and i also agree with your own observations - especially the one about sitting alongside each other making it difficult to man(!)ouevre food. there's nothing worse than elbowing someone (irrespective of gender) next to you as you try and cut something on your plate. one question for you, jonno - have you been on a mancation?!

and isn't it amazing how many rock trivia freaks there are out there? have you ever watched or been to a taping of rockwiz??

 
At Friday, June 29, 2007 12:04:00 am, Blogger Jonno said...

hehe yossarian. I'm not sure if this counts, but I went on a holiday with my cousin. It was a string of 1 double and a single foldout bed for the whole time there. Needless to say, whoever booked the room got dibs on the double. Rockwiz contestants are freaks. I think I can get only a handful of answers each episode. Guys from work applied for some tickets for audience only, but missed out. Have you been lucky enough to go?

 
At Sunday, July 01, 2007 7:50:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

i think the next series of rockwiz starts recording later in the year - best way to score tickets is to get on their mailing list (via the SBS website) for updates. and do try and get a table - the taping's can get lengthy and it's much more enjoyable to stay seated the whole time.

hehe, yes i have been to a couple of tapings. i can usually get a few questions right, but i think my reflexes are too slow...i'll probably end up in the bad books for saying so, but M's Nemesis got on the show and did really really well - she showed up josh pyke to be a bit of a rock trivia airhead ;-)

 
At Monday, July 09, 2007 3:25:00 pm, Blogger thanh7580 said...

Firstly, welcome back to blogging Jonno. You're very disciplined to keep running even in winter. My running regime has gone a little lax of late with the cold weather and rain finally.

Rockwiz contestants are freaks. Who knows so much about music. I love music but can hardly answer any of the questions.

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:05:00 pm, Blogger M? said...

Woops, I'm so slow to the register!!! Wow that's awesome that had a school fundraiser like RockWiz! If you're intersted Jonno, they're filming episodes for series 5 very soon- I can forward you the email from the mailing list (*cough*) yes rockwiz fans are freaks but I'm glad that some of that useless trivia has been retained- when the real stuff that should be isn't! Woops! :)

 
At Friday, July 27, 2007 12:09:00 am, Blogger Jonno said...

m's nemesis you're a celebrity right?? On Josh Pyke's team? I have to see if I can get the ep! Thanks but we recently applied for tickets (not sure which season) and have been placed in the ballot. (audience only!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home