Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gig no.1 2007

The first gig of the year and its February. That's a little disappointing, but there are a few more coming up shortly to make up the numbers. It was Sarah Blasko so I won't start gushing, mainly because I don't want to appear like an obsessed fan, but it was another great set and it was interesting to hear in a small venue with a stripped back band. We ventured out to Ruby's in Belgrave and the atmosphere of a sold out venue was electrifying. Unlike any other, she had to weave her way through the crowd to get to the stage, and I had to restrain myself from getting all excited as she brushed passed in front of me.

With a tuck shop type blackboard adorning the wall listing upcoming gigs, she paid homage to Augie March on making it to number 1 on Triple J's hottest 100 list. Finally, I recognised quite a few songs on the list, usually its a matter of 'who that?'. It was the first time I've tried to take pictures at a show, and the results were less than impressive. It was probably the first time I noticed just how many were taken by the audience on the night, which carried on after the end, as she was more than accommodating to pose with fans and head to the merchandise stand straight after the final encore.

An update on the West Wing: My obsession is waning, almost to a standstill as I'm still half way through the 5th season. The current episodes showing on free to air have more appeal, and not unlike what' s happening currently in the US. It's the behind the scenes process that's intriguing, rather than the policies and it will be interesting to see how the real world mimics the fictional.

I've been struggling to find new music to listen to lately, but recently picked up The Grates based off a few articles I'd read. I must say it's a fun album and well done. Like Spiderbait's Grand Slam, short punchy songs fill the album with catchy sing-a-long lyrics. The question I have to anyone reading out there is how you find new music? We share music amongst mates for sampling, and will buy the albums if we like them, but more recently I've used gut feel to buy albums. Charts are useless and reviews can be hit and miss depending on who's written them.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:00:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

nah, jonno, you don't sound like an obsessed fan when talking about sarah blasko ... but just to stir the pot, were you one of the fans who went up to her for a photo after the show?

more seriously though, i think it's great when you don't tire of seeing a performer/s live, such that you can watch them over and over again and still be picking up new things each time.

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 9:30:00 am, Blogger Serenity Later said...

Hey Jonno - nice write up! The year's still young so there's plenty of time to chalk up a good tally of live performances. You're definitely one up from me, can't say i've seen any bands this year yet and listening to the bdo outside princes park definitely doesn't count :P

As for the search for good new music, i've found word of mouth is probably the best way and following that maybe checking out stuff they play on triple r, usu. the breakfasters in the morning has good stuff.

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 9:01:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

yossarian, in hindsight I should've stayed back and gotten that pic! But after arriving far too early, (8.30 and a 12.30 finish) my back and legs were not unlike a grandpa's. Definitely next time! Great gig list (sorry to ask for it). I'm jealous on some of those shows! I hope to experience Augie March on their tour next month... Are they your 'Sarah Blasko?' ;)

serenity later, thanks, I think you can count the bdo! The buzz would've been great even from the outside. Likewise for yourself re some shows. It seems venues are ramping up with more shows so I'm sure you'll get to one shortly. Thanks for the suggestion, usually I get frustrated with morning radio, but haven't tried out triple r yet, so I'll get to it this week!

 
At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:50:00 pm, Blogger M? said...

I agree with Serenity Later- definitely Triple R-The breakfasters is great and not just for the dynamics b/w Phoebe Squared, Tony Wilson and Sam Pang!

Word o' mouth is good, as is catching supports at live shows, myspace works if you do a random music search for musicians you wouldn't normally listen to- works for me sometimes but listening to the radio or reading about influences of your fave muso's is also valuable. Good Luck!

 
At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:39:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

hehehe ... yeah jonno, i guess you could call Augie March my 'Sarah Blasko'. along with Neil Finn and The Finn Brothers, they're the only act i've actually seen play two nights in a row. what's even more tragic is that i can recall all the dates ... wish i had the same mind for scientific facts as i do for trivia.

and i promise you'll love augie live - are you seeing either of their shows at The Corner, or just the one at Ruby's?? they never disappoint, even in spite of glenn's petulance and technical glitches.

 
At Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:11:00 pm, Blogger jfox said...

uhoh. had a quiet night with the teev on the weekend and started watching west wing. perhaps i can pick up your west-wing-obsession-baton! entering dangerous territory here methinks ;p

a tip for new music from my mate pierre burkensoir - a music blog fiend: try the weekly podcasts from www.aquariumdrunkard.libsyn.com
or just read about new music and click if you're interested. look fwd to hearing abt your latest band crush soon!

 
At Monday, February 19, 2007 11:31:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

jfox I think you're in trouble... once you start you can't stop. Highly addictive. Thanks very much for the link! I'll check it out.

yossarian, I'm sure Augie March will be great live. Got tickets to the 21st at the Corner, but Ruby's might be a go also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home