Monday, December 18, 2006

Favourites

Compiling a list of my favourite 20 albums is pretty hard. I'm certain if I re-visit the list in few months time it will be different. Its also unfortunate that I really only started buying CDs quite late in my life. I know I've missed out on countless gems in my teenage years and have now filled my collection with a number of "Best of's". (Eg U2, Pearl Jam, Crowded House, INXS, REM etc) As I didn't want the list to read Best of's from 1-20, they're excluded.

1) Sarah Blasko - What The Sea Wants, The Sea Will Have
What can I say? It's still playing strong, I'm bias, a huge fan, but I haven't tired of any songs since the first play.

2) Garbage - Bleed Like Me
Personally I think this is their strongest album with a solid mix of what made them unique in the 90's with new'ish sounds.

3) Clare Bowditch and the Feeding Set - What Was Left
Sunday afternoon album with a great mix of instruments, oddly with quite depressing lyrics at times. Not that you'd notice with Clare's delivery.

4) No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Start to finish a great pop album. Catchy lyrics and great sounds. Haven't enjoyed anything they've made since.

5) Alicia Keys - The Diary of Alicia Keys
Fantastic voice, great use of the piano.

6) Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright
"Bloody Mother F****ing A**hole". Angry, angry young woman. What a musical family...

7) Something For Kate - Desert Lights
It's not just the bassist that makes this band good. I enjoy this more so than their older stuff. Great breadth of songs here.

8) Sarah Blasko - The Overture and the Underscore
I probably didn't rate this album as high as this after the initial listens, but after seeing her live last year I revisited it.

9) Garbage - Version 2.0
I was eagerly anticipating this after the first single and remember I wasn't disappointed back in those uni days.

10) PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
"Good Fortune" still gives me the tingles down the spine

11) Fiona Apple - When The Pawn
It was either this or "Extraordinary Machine". It's pleasantly surprising how many good songs are on this.

12) N*E*R*D - In Search Of
"Provider" is outstanding and the followup album is almost as good.

13) The Audreys - Between Last Night And Us
Makes the banjo cool. Great vocals and up a few spots because of the live shows.

14) Fort Minor - The Rising Tied
The only rap album I've heard that isn't all about pimps, ho's, bling and sex. "Kenji" being the best, being about WWII internment camps.

15) Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
After reading the Anthony Kiedis autobiography and what inspired "Venice Queen" it made me go back and appreciate the album.

16) Regurgitator - Unit
"Everyday Formula" and "Black Bugs" need I say more? I still remember this was one of the first albums I got that had an 18+ restriction. The giggling at the end of "Modern Life" still freaks me out.

17) Linkin Park & Jay-Z - Collision Course
Ok this one is a little embarrassing, but I must admit to get me going for any sort of exercise, this album does it. Like "Eye of the Tiger".

18) Eminem - The Eminem Show
Yes its crass, rude, cringe worthy, but it's also funny, clever and amazing how he can get words to rhyme. Just don't take any of the lyrics literally.

19) Garbage - Garbage
"Only happy when it rains"

20) Gorillaz - Demon Days
Takes you to another world with songs like the one featuring Dennis Hopper's spoken word.

Rich, Yossarian, and M's nemesis have also compiled favourite/summary of gigs for the year. I would too if I went to enough, but I'll list my top 3:

1) Something For Kate - The Forum
Packed, singing crowd, brilliant live band. The violin solo for Deja Vu...awesome
2) Sarah Blasko - The Forum
Sounded better than the album. Is that possible?
3) The Audreys - Ruby's Lounge
Metres from the stage on a couch...try doing that in the big smoke. Great vocals. Does Taasha ever stop smiling?

4 Comments:

At Monday, December 18, 2006 10:44:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting selection Jono! Good mix of different styles and certainly not something to let your doubts prevent you from sharing them with the rest of us. Glad you did! :)

Look forward to more concurrent blogging contributions from you in the future!

Gar... should've have included SFK's Beautiful Sharks but forgot to put it on the list.

 
At Monday, December 18, 2006 4:16:00 pm, Blogger Serenity Later said...

hey jonno, great to see you've finally posted your list of fav albums - i've been trawling your blog for a week now to see if there've been any updates. great choices and its good to see you cover so many different musical styles!

 
At Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:49:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

nice list, jonno!!

i really admire the fact that you can appreciate such a vast range of different music ... wish i was a bit more open-minded sometimes!

and i've gotta admit that i agree with you about eminem - it sounds bleeding obvious, but he rhymes so well! and it sure sounds like a treat to have seen the audreys at ruby's lounge. i think i've only once come across a couch at a venue ...

 
At Sunday, December 24, 2006 9:25:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Thanks for all your comments! I appreciate the suggestion to do a top 10 album list in the first place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home