Monday, September 17, 2007

Something For Kate - The Forum

Squashed in like sardines at The Corner earlier in the year, Paul announced that the band was taking a break, stressing that they weren't breaking up and Dempsey was to begin work on a solo album. A few months later, a retrospective album has been released -The Murmur Years- and another round of shows. I'm happy they played at the The Forum, as there tends to be more room to move, the atmosphere's electric and you'll usually have the ability to avoid staring at the back of someone's noggin'.

Not having done Brain Training like they advertise on tv, I can't remember all the songs from the set, although pushing 2 hours, even the sharpest mind would have trouble memorizing them all. I've seen SFK 4 times so far, plus a JB instore, and must admit have enjoyed each show thoroughly. With such a large back catalog to choose from, no shows are the same, and I've noticed a couple of covers are usually thrown in.

There were a few songs I couldn't recoginse, however, it appeared I was in the minority as many of the devoted fans in the vicinity happily squealed in delight as the first few chords were played. From their latest studio album, personal favourites "Oh Kamikaze" and "California" got a run, while there did seem to be a larger selection from earlier work including "The Astronaut", "Jerry Stand Up" and "Three Dimensions" (I think!).

My favourite live song which never fails to invoke tingles down the spine is "Deja Vu", enhanced immensely with violin. Hearing a live version sans violin on a bonus disc from "Desert Lights", it's amazing just how much it adds as opposed to just guitars. One of the new songs from the retrospective: "The Futurist", hasn't grabbed me as yet, but I've found with their albums it's taken a number of listens to really get a feel for it.

The 2 covers from the night were "When the War is Over" by Cold Chisel and "Waltz #2 (XO)" from Elliott Smith. The Chisel cover was well done, and on the night, I just couldn't place the original artist which I put to that fact that"Mossy" and "Barnsey" weren't screaming the lyrics... With my poor music knowledge, I hadn't heard "Waltz #2" until that night, and it was enthusiastically appreciated by the audience. Having since purchased XO, it was an excellent version by Paul and Pip with just a guitar and violin. (There's that instrument again...)

In a pleasant surprise, they actually recorded the show, so I look forward to this impending release. I particularly wish to hear "Waltz # 2" again now that I'm more familiar with the original work. Unfortunately it looks like a longer break is on the cards and it will be interesting to see what Paul creates as a solo artist.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:02:00 am, Blogger jfox said...

oh thanks jonno! great to read a review from a fan. sounds like i've missed them for a while (guilty confession: it was 1996 when i saw them last - eek, showing my age ;p )
strings are such a graceful addition to any song - i'm a big fan too!
ps does the tallest-man-in-the-world follow you around at gigs only to plonk his noggin in front of you as well?! haha
thanks for the review ;)

 
At Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:07:00 am, Blogger yossarian said...

aah, so nice to see a Forum ticket!! sounds like it was a great show and they sure were generous with the range of material - it's something you learn to appreciate once you're a repeat offender and have seen a band several times i guess! i would have loved to have heard 'When The War Is Over' too! and here's a bit of trivia, Farnsey's also covered that particular number!

 
At Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:37:00 am, Blogger Jonno said...

jfox - No problems at all. The memory is going so I probably got some of the songs wrong, but it was certainly enjoyable. Yeah I think I need platforms or go right up to the stage! Gosh it's been a while since the last viewing. Check out the live cd if they bring it out!

yossarian - Farnsey... there you go... Nice piece of trivia yoss (picturing a mullet and black white video clip for some reason)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home