Monday, October 08, 2007

Russian Roulette


When is too long after the best before date? I figured when formulating this, it would be on the conservative side, with a couple of days leeway to cater for absent minded people like me. However, due to some laziness and only consuming milk in the morning coffee, I figured I could take a calculated risk. It didn't help that a toast addiction prevented consumption of cereal, which would've made short work of remaining carton. 1-2 days after the recommended date I had no problem with, however I found beyond this, I was waiting for the "chunky bits" to begin their descent down the carton's spout. My brother mocked me in the early going, referencing a Seinfeld standup bit, drinking punch bowls of milk just to finish it off. He came back on D-day +6, but didn't take the risk, sighting his smell as not being reliable enough to avoid a trip to the latrine. I succumb on Friday night (05/10) a full week after the recommended date. Perhaps a switch to the long-life variety may be on the cards...

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 09, 2007 4:38:00 am, Blogger yossarian said...

good job!! i hate to admit it, but from experience, those use by dates are generally pretty conservative. hats off for lasting so long.

perhaps the alternative to that UHT stuff is to buy your REV in smaller quantities?? or else, a good way to use up lots of milk at once is pancakes + percolator coffee for breakfast - i highly recommend it.

 
At Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:02:00 pm, Blogger M? said...

UHT milk is a blessing- when you wake up and realise there's no milk in the fridge- there usually is in the pantry. Try it out and the use by dates are a fair ways off!!

btw> Sent another invite to FFF- we'd love for you to join our humble group! And these are just the sort of posts we need!!! :)

 
At Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:06:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chunky bits in milk? uurgh!!! i can relate to your problem though as i too have a preference for toast in the mornings and thus wind up with cartons of unused milk. However milk should be one of those non-negotiable items where even if it's approaching its useby, it must be turfed! Sour expired milk is just too disgusting to risk it! I'm still trying to forget my last experience with the stuff *turns green*

 
At Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:45:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

yossarian - How does the UHT stuff taste in comparison to fresh? I need a good coffee percolator... Ah I can smell it now...

M's - Thanks for the invite again. I'm not sure what I'll be able to post, but I'll give it a go...

Serenity - Yes, that's a bad feeling having chunks in milk... lol... sorry to bring back bad memories!

 
At Friday, October 12, 2007 5:49:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

I've had chunky milk in my coffee before....it's a waaay better alternative to me WITHOUT my morning heart starter.

 
At Monday, October 15, 2007 1:00:00 pm, Blogger M? said...

Welcome to FFF Jonno, thanks for joining our humble group and look forward to any comments, suggestions, posts from you! Hopefully we may catch you at the blogger's banquet if it goes ahead too! :)

 
At Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:19:00 pm, Blogger thanh7580 said...

I say keep drinking it until it stinks. You can definitely tell when milk has gone off. Use by dates are very conservative anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home