Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Album of the Year?

Ok, I'll start by saying any opinions I may have on this album may be skewed. I'm a huge fan which may distort my opinion, but only after 2 days of listening, I must say that this is one of my favourite albums. The artist is Sarah Blasko and the album is: 'What the Sea Wants the Sea Will Have'. Unfortunately I missed the signing she did at JB-Hifi last Sunday, however I had already pre-ordered an autographed copy from the online site. I didn't really have any pre-conceived ideas about the album and I enjoyed the first single [explain]. In an interview with Triple J, she mentions that this was not the resounding opinion of others to be the first single, however she decided to go ahead, create the video clip and release it. It's a fantastic clip, inspired by 'Watership Down' and is a great fit for a great first single.

Onto the album. There's a great mix of catchy choruses and slow thoughtful lyrics. In contrast to the previous record, there seems to be a much greater variety in the pitch at which she sings at within the songs. Also I notice that there are few songs with fantastic piano which I don't recall being too prevalent if at all previously. Most notably 'Queen of Apology' which just has a couple of piano notes throughout, but, accompanied with a similarly constant drum rhythm and nicely timed lyrics it results in a really good song. I would love to see this live, as I'd appreciate how hard it would be to pull off!

For me the standout from the album has to be 'Always On This Line'. Just something slightly different to the others, sung in a lower key with a catchy chorus. Similarly 'The Garden's End' has a great couple of constant guitar 'plucks' (Sorry about the terminology) almost throughout, a technique that I really like in songs. It's also interesting to hear 'The Woman By The Well' which I think was played back at the POW gig last year and the lyrics on a piece of paper. It's good to see that it made it onto the album. 'Showstopper' is one of those songs that grows on you with each listen, while I see 'Planet New Year' as the 'Always Worth It' of this album, with the distinction of having a Toy Piano listed as one of the instruments used.

Just on that, another great aspect of the album is the diverse use of accompanying instruments. Just look on the inside of the CD cover to discover the instruments used on each song. The CD is nicely packaging, with a little photo album with some snaps from the recording studio. With the production of the album's songs as a guide, its not unexpected that physical package appears to have been meticulously put together.

In short, there are a diverse range of songs on the album and overall its something I know I'll come back to many times. I hate people who review albums who say that artists produced something too similar to their previous ones. Honestly if it sounds good who cares? In this instance however, in my opinion, the second offering by Sarah Blasko is a contrast to the first in subtle ways and explores different musical avenues. Its a shame that there aren't more radio stations like Triple J that help discover and promote these artists. Good on them for naming this the feature album of the week - and understandably so.

People of Australia, get out and get some tickets to the live performances as she's touring in the next few weeks. I have my tickets and will be at the Forum. I saw her last year and thoroughly enjoyed the show with 'Flame Trees' and 'At Your Best' being favourites. If you don't believe my thoughts, the beauty of the internet showcases the songs on her website. Don't miss out on this one...

9 Comments:

At Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:37:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

wow, it's so nice to read a review by a real fan who's not trying to be a hot shot. i wasn't taken with sarah blasko's earlier stuff, but the new album has also been featured this week on ABC Radio National (Breakfast program) and i have to say i like what i've heard so far. to my untrained ear, it does indeed sound she's singing over a broader range and also seems a bit less electronic than the first album?

hope you have a blast at The Forum show, it's a top venue!

 
At Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:23:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

As usual thanks for your comments yossarian! I also have an untrained ear so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm off the mark on a few of my comments... The Forum is an awesome venue. Really looking forward to the 10th now...

 
At Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:24:00 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Hello, the Johnno,

I too have been listening to the album since it came out and I also have some thoughts. Let me share them, in the interests of discussion.

Firstly, I precis this by saying that I was enamoured with her first album. I thought it was very good and perfectly blended pop with electronica and personal lyrics.

I think the main strength of this album is that it is musically better than Overture. The choice of instruments is great and the album sounds a lot more cohesive this time around. The pop has been toned down and the indie has been upped and it sounds good.

I think the main problem with this album is that she ahs departed from introverted lyrics to more concept tracks and the lyrics don't feel as personal or clever as Overture. Also, a lot of the melodies are very similar to previous songs.

As a whole I don't think there are any tracks I'd skip, which is a good sign. But it jsut seems to be lacking something lyrically that olds it back from being album of the year. I'd rate it around a 5 out of 7, which is what I would have given the last album.

Well worth picking up but not revolutionary.

 
At Saturday, October 28, 2006 5:19:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Hi Jobe,

I'm a pretty big fan, so my thoughts are pretty bias. It's interesting to hear another person's opinion of the album and there isn't anything in your comments that doesn't have validity. Just out of curiosity (and looking for new music) what's your album of the year so far?

 
At Sunday, October 29, 2006 12:55:00 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Ouch, tough call.

It would be one of these:
The Blood Arm - Lie, Lover, Lie (only out in UK so far)
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Laura - Radio Swan is Down (aussie)
Envy - Insomniac Doze
Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens
Gerling - 4 (aussie)
Ghostface - Fishscale

I find them REALLY difficult to separate (mostly because they're from different genres, but also because a lot I only got recently and haven't fully absorbed.

 
At Monday, October 30, 2006 11:12:00 am, Blogger Steph said...

Holy fuck! Jobe being serious? I have to go lie down.
Nice blog Jonno.

 
At Monday, October 30, 2006 8:14:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Thanks steph! jobe, I'm gonna check out at least some of those albums and we'll see how they go... cheers.

 
At Monday, October 30, 2006 9:44:00 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Steph ya bloody stalker. Leave me alone!

 
At Sunday, November 05, 2006 10:00:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

Shut up Jobe. Jonno left a comment on my blog, I was curious as to what his blog was like and i find you being all serious.

Frankly, it's disturbing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home