Sunday, November 05, 2006

Footpath Etiquette?

Sorry, I'm one of those people who always takes the stairs when there's an elevator and, when on foot, tries to get from A to B walking as fast as possible. I don't particularly like waiting for elevators and I don't like the crowded space. (Eg how close is too close or am I not squeezed in enough for that extra person to fit in? It says maximum capacity is 33 people and we have 10, but we're squished!). Ironically, at work we have 4 floors and the majority of people take the elevators. You've got to be kidding! Unless you smoke and developed gangrene like on those anti smoking ads, or waiting for the chance encounter with a hottie from accounting, you've got to take the stairs. Its approximately 200 steps from the car to the desk, any toilet/lunch breaks and I reckon people would be lucky to break 2000 in a day. Thank god I go for a run twice a week now...

I walk not in the 'He really needs to get to a toilet' sort of speed, but a brisk pace. I'll usually find myself at least walking partially on the road as an increasing amount of people seem to think its a one way strip. A regular footpath has enough width for 3 average sized humans and enough for 2 lanes of traffic, but without proper signage I think people are either lost or stupid. Here are some scenarios:

1) 2 in the middle
-Stick to one side (suggest left) or the other but not in the middle. It makes it hard to get around and you're likely to do some line dancing manoeuvres to get around oncoming traffic.

2) 3 straddling in a line
-Its on the onus of the person on the outside right to tuck themselves behind their companion to give way to oncoming traffic. Remember this rule if you're a tag-along with a couple that you've always got to stick on the right. (Even if you're a guy and it goes girl-guy-guy you may need to swallow your macho pride)

3) The single wanderer
-Either drifts from either side with slow plodded steps looking skyward, marvelling at the architecture, looking down punching in a text or counting change. Careful, if you bump into them, you're likely to cause them to spill the $10 worth of 5 cent coins on the ground and will need to help pick them up. Usually ensure you're at least a good 2 metres from their vicinity.

Its funny seeing 2 equally stubborn parties meet when neither decides to give way. Its gold seeing them clash and it usually results in both parties either giving the glare to each other or some astonished facial remark not quite believing that the world doesn't revolve around them and that crowds don't dissipate when they walk not unlike Moses parting the seas.

What I always tend to find is that I'm getting out of the way of other people. It gives me the shits but then I think maybe everyone else has given up and decided they couldn't be bothered getting out of other peoples way too. I think the rule should be if you're in the majority then you give way and if its even then both parties are to give a slight amount of room for each other. When someone does do the polite thing, do the subtle head nod to acknowledge the gesture...

7 Comments:

At Sunday, November 05, 2006 10:01:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

I'm a fast walker, and in six inch stilletos that's no mean feat!

Anyhoo, slow walkers do my head in. They should have their own lane on the footpath.

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 7:16:00 pm, Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hey Jonno, thanks for commenting on my blog firstly. Secondly, I see you are really into music. I really like music too, but not so much Aussie music. From your list, the album I've listened to most is probably Loose by Nelly Furtado. This album was very different from her older stuff and extremely catchy.

An Aussie albums you might want to get is Augie March, a very good album. Evermore, who are Kiwi I believe, also have a good album. And finally and surprisingly, Justin Timberlake's album is a very different album to his NSync days and quite a different sound.

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 9:51:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

well said, jonno! the observation that really struck a chord with me was the one about 3 straddlers in a line. what really irritates me is those people who insist on walking two (or more) abreast if you're coming towards them. i find this particularly annoying when i'm walking my dog. what's so hard about changing your formation while someone walks past you?

 
At Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:50:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Thanks for your comments!

steph - I will never understand how women deal with heels! I have enough trouble in regular shoes let alone watching out for every crack in the pavement, grate or uneven part on the ground. I fully respect all women in heels!

thanh7580 - Augie March is a band I haven't quite gotten into yet, but friends enjoy their albums so I'll have to give it a try. I've listened to some Evermore but haven't had a chance to get their album yet. Sorry Justin won't get a run on my cd player just out of principle... ;)

yossarian - It's pretty bad that people are like that. It doesn't take much effort at all and yet people just assume you'll get out of their way... It's just plain rude sometimes. (Go to steph's blog for a stocking case she had of bad manners ...)

 
At Thursday, November 09, 2006 4:39:00 pm, Blogger Applecross WC said...

Haha nice post. The most annoying are groups of 3 or more students or old ladies who wander along blocking the whole footpath oblivious to people trying to get past. That is when its best to start throwing elbows (not at the kids though, I couldn't hurt a kid).

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 3:14:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 3:15:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home