Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Who Needs a Nappy?

The topic of toilet etiquette was brought up recently when obviously there was nothing else to discuss. For me, I don't feel it's a place where any speaking should take place. Should talking be kept to a minimum? Please note that I can only speak for the gents, however when you're in the close vicinity of another man's bits, I just want to complete the task required, wash and dry my hands and get out. I see most people outside of the gents, so I don't feel it's necessary to discuss weekend plans or the status of my project! Of course in the office I get light hearted grief for snubbing people, but I think most understand the haste given the state of the washroom.

The following has happened recently:
  • Someone had begun his business at a urinal when the phone rang. He proceeded to answer, continue a conversation and walk out without washing up.
  • A fellow employee mistakingly thought it was a flight to the US, bringing in a thick novel to accompany him. Seriously. Take some fiber capsules.
  • Countless number of people making the clickity clack sound of text messages.
  • People reaching high scores playing games on their mobiles.
  • Leaving piss and shit! on the seat.... Come on who hasn't been potty trained?
  • We have water restrictions, but please flush...
Meanwhile, it's cleaned twice daily... (honestly I believe primary school kids would be cleaner...)

The worst sound is being the only person in the toilet, hearing someone enter, flush and exit. I'm not a hygiene freak, however a splash of water over the hands wouldn't go astray. We thought of having a "name and shame" list just for the fun of it...

On a lighter note, I found the site http://www.newfoundfrequency.com/ which has full songs from live gigs to preview and CD compilations to purchase -with the artists' consent. I've purchased one live CD of Something For Kate @ the Corner, which was signed by the band. While it doesn't beat seeing them live, it helps fill the void should the cash be unavailable or the calendar booked.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:00:00 pm, Blogger yossarian said...

jeez, i'm so glad i'm not male - i couldn't think of anything worse than having someone alongside you while you're taking a leak. i'd be one of those guys who sneaks into the cubicle, even for number ones.

like you, i also find it a bit weird when people talk on their mobiles in the toilet. besides, with all the tiling in bathrooms, you'd just get that annoying echo. bit disconcerting for the person on the other end too. this happened to my boss once when he was having a conversation with a colleague, only to twig (after a somewhat strained reply from said colleague) mid-conversation that he was on the can.

awkward.

 
At Monday, March 17, 2008 3:54:00 pm, Blogger Applecross WC said...

That is the perfect time for mobile phone games!

 
At Friday, March 21, 2008 10:41:00 pm, Blogger Serenity Later said...

You have dealt with a topic that's plagued my mind a lot in the workplace of late. Stereotypes dictate that the gents room is likely to be grottier than the ladies...well i'm here to shatter those preconceived notions to dust! You see I too have experienced the two cubicled horror, the kind when you hear your neighbour press the flush but you don't hear the tell tale sounds of hands being washed & dried!? Ditto with the souvenirs left behind on toilet seats. It really defies description that there are savages in this world who refuse to join our civil society and practice good bathroom etiquette. What is wrong with some people???!!! What horrified me the most about this is when i related my experiences to a colleague (who i've ruled out as a suspect, i might add), she said that it might be that some people don't like the idea of touching grotty taps..... Again i ask, what is wrong with some people???!!!

LOL at your story about the tell tale straining sounds Yossarian!

 
At Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:00:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

yossarian - Echoes, splashing noises and strains. It can't be too pleasant on the other end! Funny story, but do you continue the conversation on the other end, or cut it short knowing where they are?

applecross wc - Maybe that's why all my games are on a high score of 0...

serenity - I pictured the womens bathroom consisting of ladies putting on makeup and gossiping about the guys in the workplace. You've now ruined that image! Yes I don't quite understand people... We were considering a name and shame, but that may be a bit harsh...

 
At Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:53:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

Ewwwww! This is why I hold on till I go home. Unless I'm absolutely bursting!!

 
At Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:54:00 pm, Blogger Serenity Later said...

Holy Moly Jonno! i just noticed you listed rodrigo y gabriela as one of the 2008 gigs you attended. Wow! i would've loved to have seen them!!! What was their show like??? i absolutely love their cover of the Metallica instrumental Orion - its been on v. high rotation in my car for awhile now.

 
At Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:07:00 pm, Blogger Jonno said...

Serenity, I was looking forward to the gig too! But unfortunately it was on the same day of my car accident and I passed off my ticket. I heard they were excellent though and it was a matter of trying to spot the variety of covers throughout the night...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home